Our skin generally becomes dry dull and scratchy when it loses moisture and is exposed to sun. Moisture is essential in order to keep the skin soft and supple. The dryness of skin can be occurred because of natural ageing, health problems and weather also. To maintain the natural moisture in the skin various methods are present.
Tips to treat dry skin
- Apply moisturizers daily: Moisturizing the skin is very essential to keep it fresh and soft. Most of the moisturizers present in the market contain emollients and humectants that are capable to hold the water in the skin. Emollients cover the space between the skin cells in order to reduce the appearance of harsh skin. Humectants (like urea and glycerin) help to extract the water from the surroundings.
- Use soaps with mild ingredients: Some soap can leave a harsh and dry feel on your skin due to some ingredients. It is suggested to use mild soap. Other soaps actually eliminate the layer of lipids from your skin and prevent the moisture extraction from the skin.
- Use deodorants with Emollients and humectants: Always try to use the deodorants that are rich in the above mentioned Emollients and humectants as these will reduce the skin dryness.
- Prescription creams: The symptoms of dry skin can be skin irritation and itching. In these cases it is recommended by the dermatologists to use creams which contain hydrocortisone. These will reduce that itching and irritation. One can use a cream containing urea or acetic acid to treat the condition of dry skin.
- Use moisturizing humidifier during winters: Winters come with the prevalence of dry skin. Hence it is suggested to use a humidifier that increases moisture in the skin, and should be used in the winters.
- Limit your showers to 15 minutes: It may seem that the prolonged bath or shower increases the skin moisture but it does not. The extended exposure to the direct water can reduce the necessary natural oils from the skin that may result in skin dryness. A healthy and moisture rich skin can be achieved by limiting your bath to maximum 15 minutes.
For preventing dry skin, avoid hot water baths as it can cause skin dryness and irritation. It is suggested to use warm water instead of hot water. While going out, don’t forget to apply sunscreen in order to prevent sun damage and in turn dryness of skin.