Once in a lifetime you must have faced the unbearable pain of sprain. A sprain is a very common problem but do you know what causes a sprain?
It occurs due to the over stretching of tendons and ligaments. Excessive physical exertion results in the problem of sprain. It basically affects the muscles or joints. If a person gets a serious sprain, then he will not be able to move properly and surgery methods would be required to rectify this.
Let us discuss about the causes of sprain
- Sudden fall
- Excessive sports
- High intensity exercise
- Twisting of a body part
- Continuous use of high heels
- Regular lifting of heavy objects
- Excessive stretching of the ligaments
- Walking on an uneven surface for long hours
Sprain causes rapid swelling and sometimes it hurts a lot. The pain can become unbearable. But, how to identify if it is sprain?
What are indications of sprain?
3. Severe joint pain
4. Problem in walking
5. Stiffness in the joints
6. Tearing or stretching of ligaments
Types of Sprain
- Wrist sprain
- Knee sprain
- Back sprain
- Neck sprain
- Ankle sprain
- Finger sprain
- Groin sprain
- Thigh or Hamstring sprain
What Should I Do heal the Sprained Region?
1. Sprain causes a lot of trouble if not cured on time. So, apply cold compresses on the region and cover it with a bandage.
2. One of the simple ways to get relief from sprain is, soak a cabbage leave in water for 10 minutes, and then wrap it over the sprained area.
3. One of the ancient remedy to fix sprain is, chop an onion and wrap it in a muslin cloth. Now, place this cloth on the affected area for 30 minutes.
4. Having lots of pineapple would give you relief from sprain
5. Mix 1 tbsp of camphor oil with 1 cup of sunflower oil. Massaging the sprain affected area with this can give you immense relief from pain.
6. Take garlic oil and almond oil in equal proportions. Massage the sprained area with this on a daily basis.
7. Add 5-7 drops of thyme oil in bathing water and have a hot bath every day.
8. Grind some lime leaves with 1 tbsp of butter and apply this paste over the affected region. This helps in treating sprain.
Sprain is not a very serious issue. So, next time, if you get stuck in this, then, go for these EASY and SAFE remedies for a sprained free life.